Winners and Losers in the Jobs Report
3. Construction and its components: The slumping housing industry has taken a toll not just on home values but the jobs that go into creating new homes. Manufacturers of wood products have slashed 4.9% of their work force. That includes 21,300 jobs related to furniture manufacturing. Overall construction lost 208,000 jobs, with the residential building industry losing 39,100, or 4.3% of its workforce. Especially hard hit were specialty trade contractors for residential construction, whose workforce contracted 4.7%. Those workers lay the foundations for buildings, perform exterior work, install mechanical systems and make repairs.
4. Temps: When making the choice between the salaried employee and the temporary help, employers have been slashing temp jobs left and right. Through May, 113,900 of those workers have been left jobless, representing a decline of 4.4%.
5. Postal workers: Believe it or not, Post Office employees are among the top workers looking out for pink slips. The agency has cut 29,800 jobs so far this year, a decline of 3.9% from the end of 2007. If only job-hunters were mailing out their resumes instead of submitting them online.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV