Don't Fear Price, Focus on Value: Whirlpool
To Play the Market, You Must First Understand It
- The purpose of the market is to facilitate liquidity: The market does not provide valuation analysis. It tells you price. It does not tell you value.
- Price does not equal value: All stocks are mispriced, some by a little, some by a lot. The value-centric investor, naturally, seeks to buy stocks where value exceeds price by a wide margin.
-- As covered in "Understanding the Stock Market: Tecumseh, Office Depot."Plus, To Play the Game, Understand This: Price Change Exceeds Value Change If the market is going to provide cash offers each and every day, then you can't expect prices to be stable. Prices will fluctuate in a wide range. It should come as no surprise that prices oscillate by more 50% per year for the average stock, while value changes by less than 1% per month. Sophisticated investors seek to arbitrage the spread between the change in price and the change in value. Here is an example of such an opportunity: Whirlpool (WHR). While the business value has changed by slightly less than 1% per month, the stock price has ranged from $67 to $118 over the last year. Lately it traded at $72. And it's worth at least $150 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV