'Fast Money' Recap: A Big Day All Around
Stocks in New York logged substantial gains Thursday. The Nasdaq ticked up 1.9%, the S&P 500 added 2% and the Dow jumped 1.7%.
On CNBC's "Fast Money" TV show, the traders observed that the bond insurers suffered a downgrade today but nonetheless went higher. Crude also went up today.
Pete Najarian said today's action was "unbelievable." He said the rally today wasn't like yesterday's rotation into technology. He said he can't explain why every sector participated in the bullish action.
Guy Adami said that in May there was record short interest on the New York Stock Exchange. He said that money is flowing back into commodities and equities. He said that the market feels as though it will go higher.Jeff Macke said people are tired of negative headlines and decided to buy in the face of bad news.
3 Stocks I Saw on TV
Financials' EndgameIn the financials, Karen Finerman said there might be a bottom in Lehman Brothers (LEH) shares. She said the company will be able to raise capital if it needs to. She acknowledged that Lehman hasn't been completely forthright about the state of its business, but she predicted the stock would rally if the company raised capital. Najarian pointed out that Lehman is in a different position from Bear Stearns. He said Lehman has more access to liquidity and can access the Federal Reserve's discount window.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV