IBM Lands Lucrative Outsourcing Deal
That deal may indicate that the hardware company has aspirations to become a full-service consulting and integration firm on IBM's model. EDS is primarily known for providing basic outsourcing, but will bolster H-P's place in the services business.
Although the deal is sizeable, averaged over the life of the contract, it represents just $8.1 million a quarter, or 0.08% of IBM's services revenue for the most recent quarter. The unit's services business took in $9.7 billion, up 17% year over year.
"The quarterly impact ... will not be major," Zakharov said. However, IBM will be able to bill up front for consulting and systems integration. "The deal is likely to bring more revenue initially," while the labor outsourcing service tends to generate most of its profit at the end of the contract, he wrote.
Despite its high-dollar value, the Bristol-Myers deal is not IBM's largest. In 2003, Big Blue signed one of the first big labor outsourcing deals, valued at $400 million over 10 years, with Procter & Gamble (PG), according to Zakharov.The BMY deal "shows that IBM is well entrenched to help [the] largest conglomerates" with labor and outsourcing, Zakharov said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV