Cramer: Why Own Lehman?
That game is over. But the people are still there, as is the overhead. Without this stuff, I don't know how you make a lot of money at an investment firm, particularly when you have decided to shrink your balance sheet and make fewer loans. Some can get away with it: Bank of America (BAC), for instance, because it has a deposit base (same reason Wachovia (WB) is worth something, but I don't want to own it, either), doesn't need to rely on structured products to make some money.
LEH? I just don't see how they can deliver $5-6 earnings power anymore. Worse, I can't even figure out what they could earn in this environment. The franchise isn't too dicey, just the earnings estimates.
I have so many companies that are delivering consistent, good numbers, why do I need a company that has a fraction of the earnings power that it used to have?
No, I don't want to own Lehman.Random musings: Doug Kass, a major topic of last night's investment shindig because of his bullish call on the banks, is growing even more bullish on the group. I simply DO NOT share that cause! At the time of publication, Cramer had no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Jim Cramer writes about all the stock trades in his charitable trust for TheStreet.com in Action Alerts Plus. Recent stocks he's traded in this account include Deere (DE), Discovery (DISCA) and Altria (MO).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV