Health Winners & Losers: Indevus
Pharma stocks mostly fell while their biotech counterparts generally kept in the green midweek, presenting a mixed platter of regulatory and business updates Wednesday.
Indevus (IDEV) shares slid 69% to $1.26 Wednesday on news of a Food and Drug Administration delay. The company said regulators will not approve Nebido, a long-acting injectable testosterone, without additional safety data and a new clinical trial expected to take 18 months.
The FDA also said Wednesday that it's looking into a possible cancer risk in a class of drugs called tumor necrosis factor blockers (TNF inhibitors) in young arthritis patients. The drugs include Abbott's (ABT) Humira, Schering-Plough's (SGP) Remicade and Amgen (AMGN) and Wyeth's (WYE) Enbrel.
The agency issued an "early communication" that it has received 30 reports of cancer development in children and young adults who were taking the drugs over the last 10 years. About half were lymphomas, or immune system cancer.Amgen and Wyeth, which issued a statement in response, traded up 0.8% and down 0.9%, respectively. Abbott's shares were down 0.5%, and Schering fell 0.4%. In ratings actions, Cowen and Co. analyst Steve Scala upgraded Eli Lilly (LLY) to outperform from neutral on Wednesday, on optimism regarding the upcoming FDA decision on Lilly's blood-thinner Effient. Lilly's shares added 1.5% to $49.04. Scala also upgraded Novartis (NVS) to outperform from neutral, but downgraded Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) to neutral from outperform. Those pharma stocks each traded down 1.4%. The Amex pharmaceutical index, which includes Lilly and Bristol but not Novartis, was down 0.6% at 296.86. Biotechnology companies seemed to fare better. The Nasdaq and Amex biotech indices both added 0.9%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV