Friday's Asia ADR Recap: Infosys
Indian shares closed on an up note Friday after government data showed the nation's GDP grew by 9% in 2007-08, second only to fast-growing China. Analysts said the high GDP growth was due to a strong performance in the country's agriculture sector.
However, stock gains were kept in check after inflation data represented by the wholesale price index (WPI) jumped to a four-year high at 8.1% for the weekend ending on May 17, vs. 7.82% from the previous week.
"Nobody has drawn any great satisfaction at 8.1% inflation -- 8.1% is a worrisome inflation. But the measures we have taken have contained inflation. We are confident that we will gain mastery over this inflation and inflation will be contained over time," Finance Minister P. Chidambaram said.
"However, moderation in inflation depends on global crude oil and commodity prices," he said. "Surely, we are still in full control over the situation."The Bombay Stock Exchange's Sensex Index climbed 99.31 points, or 0.6%, to 16,415.57. Here's a look at how some India-based American depositary shares traded in the U.S. Friday. Indian technology stocks were in play Friday after J.P. Morgan raised its price targets for the five biggest software companies, citing a better earnings environment due to a depressed rupee and changes to tax laws. J.P. Morgan raised its end-of-year price target for Tata Consultancy Services by 24% and for Infosys Technologies (INFY), it bumped its price target by 27%. American depositary shares of Infosys, which trade on the Nasdaq, soared 8.2% to $49.11 on heavy volume.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV