Time Right for FNM's 'Smart Commute' Plan
Unfortunately, lenders are often stuck on the suburban model, and consider only one-third of a borrower's income when they decide how much mortgage debt he or she can afford. Hare concludes that this makes urban housing "mortgage unaffordable" and pushes people to the car-reliant 'burbs. He calls it "transportation redlining."
The SmartCommute program was meant to address this imbalance. For borrowers willing to buy a home within a quarter mile of a public bus stop or half a mile of a commuter rail stop, lenders would calculate the savings from using public transit and consider it additional money that could go toward a mortgage, thereby increasing urban-dwellers' buying power.
While the program is still theoretically available from Countrywide Financial (CFC) and smaller regional lenders, a public relations contact at Fannie Mae had never heard of it and even after some digging couldn't send me information about it--a sign of how much they've let it wither.
(Interested consumers can call Fannie Mae at 800-732-6643.)Here's why it's time to actively revive it:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV