'Mad Money' Recap: Illinois Tool Nails It
Cramer explained that his original thesis was that newfound wealth in emerging countries, brought on by the rising prices of natural resources, would flow to the consumers and into technology like cell phones. But Cramer said he failed to consider the risks involved in making such a prediction.
In the case of Telkom Indonesia, Cramer said he failed to consider the company's substantial wireline business, which like that of wireline here in the U.S., is declining. Despite growth in wireless services, the legacy wireline business dragged down the whole company.
In the case of Turkcell, Cramer explained that a new competitor going public drew attention away from the company and that, along with unfavorable rulings from the government, played a negative hand in that stock.
Lightning RoundIn the Lightning Round, Cramer was bullish on Transocean (RIG), National Oilwell Varco (NOV), Hudson City Bancorp (HCBK) and UMB Financial (UMBF). Cramer was bearish on Harley Davidson (HOG), Hologic (HOLX) and Verasun Energy (VSE).
Jim Cramer writes about all the stock trades in his charitable trust for TheStreet.com in Action Alerts Plus. Recent stocks he's traded in this account include Schering-Plough (SPG), Yamana Gold (AUY) and Abbott Laboratories (ABT). Want more Cramer? Check out Jim's rules and commandments for investing by clicking here. For more of Cramer's insights during the Lightning Round,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV