Kass: I'm Putting My Money in the Banks
I have been an outspoken bear on bank stocks since 2005. (Just ask Jim "El Capitan" Cramer!)
In the 2005-2007 interim, I was short many of the major money center banks as well as the mortgage and bond insurers, government-sponsored enterprises and other specialty financials.
I got it right when such a position was not popular, and, significantly (for a change!), I was right for the right reasons.After shunning bank stocks (and being short) for a number of years, I am making a large (and growing) commitment on the long side for some of the following reasons:
- The curative process of substituting lost (or written off) capital for fresh capital continues apace and is now almost complete.
- The industry's historic financial (balance sheet) opaqueness is being replaced by renewed disclosure.
- The core banking franchises of deposit gathering and loan originating, which are producing solid growth in net interest income, remain intact.
- The banking industry's competitive position has been enhanced as the non-regulated shadow banking industry labors under high funding costs, funding availability, capital constraints and poorly diversified books of business.
- The banking industry's ne'er-do-well executives have been replaced by competent, pragmatic and more realistic management teams.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV