The Smart Way to Start a Crafting Business
Written by Lan Nguyen
Dina Gan has always loved making things. In college, she designed offbeat, inexpensive jewelry and sold it around campus. But it wasn't until she moved from New York City back home to Baltimore that she once again started to make one-of-a-kind pieces as well as oven mitts and handbags. And in April, she launched
Building a company from a cherished hobby sounds easy enough. After all, according to the nonprofit
Honesty Is the Best PolicyTake a hard look at your products. Are they items you would pay money for? Turning a hobby into a money machine requires not only dedication but also the skills of a professional. Just because it's handmade and looks homey doesn't mean it shouldn't also be well crafted and designed. Don't be afraid to take your pieces to boutiques and galleries you admire and ask their opinions. Says Kathie Fitzgerald, author of Country Living Crafting a Business: Make Money Doing What You Love (Country Living), "You need to take them out and show them to people who are not your friends and family. You need a cold-blooded assessment of your product."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV