Should You Buy ETFs of ETFs?
PowerShares just launched three fund-of-funds ETFs, which means they're ETFs that own other ETFs:
The three are:
- PowerShares Autonomic Growth NFA Global Asset Portfolio (PTO)
- PowerShares Autonomic Balanced Growth NFA Global Asset Portfolio (PAO)
- PowerShares Autonomic Balanced NFA Global Asset Portfolio (PCA)
The names are indistinguishable to me but PTO is the most aggressive at 90% equities and 10% other stuff (combo of fixed income, commodities and currencies). PAO is the middle of the road at 75% equities and 25% other. PCA is the most conservative at 60% equities and 40% other.
The three funds own different mixes of essentially the same ETFs (there are a couple of differences), and track indices recently created by New Frontier Advisors. They all target specific allocations which will be reallocated quarterly, but the prospectus allows for more frequent rebalancing to occur if something truly dramatic happens in the markets like, perhaps, a 1987-like crash.All three funds charge 25 basis points plus the respective fees of each of the underlying funds within. The equity allocation of all three is very intriguing, because all three favor foreign stocks over domestic; PTO 49% foreign to 41% domestic, PAO 39% to 36% and PCA 31% to 30%. PowerShares Dynamic Developed International Opportunities Portfolio (PFA) is a favorite of New Frontier Advisers as it constitutes 22% of the aggressive PTO, 15% of the middle of the road PAO and 7% of the conservative PCA. PFA uses a qualitative screening process to sort through foreign stocks to find names that should outperform. Because New Frontier Advisors' process for inclusion is proprietary, it isn't clear why PFA seems to be such an overwhelming favorite. PFA listed last July and has tracked very closely to iShares MSCI EAFE Fund (EFA). PFA's back test was phenomenal, which perhaps contributed to the decision.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV