Friday's Winners & Losers: First Marblehead
First Marblehead (FMD) plunged 11.6% to $3.45. The stock moved up on Thursday based on positive comments by an analyst and the selling is thought to be profit-taking as the stock recently has had very few upward trading days.
Shares of US Airways (LCC) sank to a new 52-week low on a spate of bad news. The Tempe, Ariz.-based airline said that thanks to rising fuel costs it would delay opening a route from Philadelphia to Beijing and raise its fares as much as $60 roundtrip. S&P put nine airlines, including US Airways, on negative CreditWatch. Credit Suisse downgraded the stock to underperform from outperform, and UBS cut its price target for US Airways and six other airline stocks. The stock shed 18.6% to $4.25 Friday.
Elsewhere, insurance companies fell across the board after Moody's downgraded American Insurance Group's (AIG) debt rating with a negative outlook. The downgrade was based on the losses the insurance giant has suffered as a result of the mortgage market meltdown and credit market disruptions. AIG fell 2.3% to $36.96.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV