Tearing Down a House: When to Start Over
When does it make sense just to tear down an old house?
Say you're driving around, looking at open houses in an upscale neighborhood that you'd badly like to buy into. You find a quaint, old two-bedroom surrounded by modern 4,000 and 5,000 square-foot homes that's the right price and fits the old real estate axiom: "Always buy the least expensive home on the block."
But when you walk inside, the agent greets you with a sheet showing the dimensions of the lot and the news that "it's a teardown."
Maybe. But what if you're more interested in preserving the look of the old architecture than building out a McMansion to the property lines? What if you don't want to dump a few truckloads of wood and drywall into the local landfill, and would rather put off a major rebuilding job until a few years down the road?Bottom line: How do you figure out when you should remodel, and when you should tear down and start over?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV