GameStop Forecast Flattens Shares
SAN FRANCISCO - Shares of video-games retailer GameStop (GME) slumped after the company beat analysts' first-quarter estimates but forecast earnings for the current quarter and fiscal year that were merely in line with Street expectations.
Shares of GameStop were down $4.76, or 9.4%, to $46.09 in recent trading.
Profit for the quarter was $62.1 million, or 37 cents a share vs. $24.7 million, or 15 cents a share, a year earlier. Excluding items, the company earned 38 cents a share, beating analysts' expectations by 3 cents a share.
Revenue increased 41.8% to $1.81 billion, surpassing analysts' expectations of $1.75 billion for the quarter.Comparable-store sales increased 27.1% during the first quarter. New video game software sales grew 72%. The top-five selling games during the quarter were Take-Two's (TTWO) Grand Theft Auto IV, with only five days of sales at the end of the quarter; Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart WII from Nintendo; Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 from Ubisoft; and Electronic Arts' (ERTS) Army Of Two, said GameStop. "The installed base of video game consoles grew 34% in 2007, or nearly 31 million units, the highest incremental growth in the history of the business, and we are forecasting that hardware unit sell-thru will match these levels in 2008," said R. Richard Fontaine, chairman and chief executive officer for GameStop in a statement. Gross margin for the quarter was 26.1%, down from 27.2% a year ago. The decline came primarily from the hardware sales category, said Matt Hodges, director of investor relations for GameStop.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV