Wednesday's Winners & Losers: Moody's
A computer glitch at Moody's (MCO) caused shares of the bond ratings company to plunge Wednesday and sent other financial stocks down as jittery investors began selling.
Moody's experienced a problem that caused some complex European financial instruments to be doled out higher ratings than they should have been given, according to Reuters. The error was discovered in early 2007 and the products were downgraded, but the news was never disclosed. The stock collapsed into its largest one-day drop since being spun off from Dun & Bradstreet. It ended the day down $6.99, or 15.9%, at $36.91.
Shares of Hewlett-Packard
Washington Mutual (WM) gave back 4.4% to $9.40 after Moody's downgraded the rating on its covered bonds. This acion follows the recent downgrades of the senior unsecured debt of Washington Mutual Bank. The concern from Moody's is the increased potential exposure of covered bond investors to the risk of a liquidation of the cover pool in a short time frame in the event of a default.Analog Devices
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV