Small-Cap Winners & Losers: U.S. Geothermal
Small-cap stocks fared far better than the broader market Wednesday, generally staying positive as the major indices slumped into negative territory. The Russell 2000 was up 0.5% at 739.25, and the S&P SmallCap 600 was likewise up 0.5% at 391.00.
Shares of U.S. Geothermal (HTM), a Boise, Idaho, company that develops geothermal properties, soared 13% to $2.69. RBC Capital Markets initiated coverage of the stock with an outperform rating. U.S. Geothermal also announced a joint venture with Gerlach Green Energy to explore the Gerlach geothermal system located in northwestern Nevada.
Oil and gas company Endeavour (END) jumped 12.6% to $1.79. The Houston-based company announced a natural gas discovery in the Norwegian North Sea. It said it will participate in the drilling of eight wells overall in 2008.
Willow Financial Bancorp (WFBC) added 22% to $9.42. The Wayne, Pa., provider of commercial banking services announced Harleysville National (HNBC) would buy it in an all-stock deal. Each share of Willow Financial stock will be exchanged for 0.73 shares of Harleysville stock. Harleysville National shares shed 4% to $13.54 on the news.Also on the losing side, Westborough, Mass., information technology services company Virtusa (VRTU) stumbled 9% to $10.86 after offering weak guidance. The firm predicted earnings between 70 cents and 79 cents a share for the fiscal year ending in March 2009. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters are expecting EPS of 90 cents. Finally, Guaranty Financial (GFG), an Austin, Texas commercial and retail banking services provider, slipped 11% to $5.34. The company announced a stock offering of up to $350 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV