What's Behind Vulcan's Climb
Inelastic demand means suppliers can raise prices at a rate that is faster than the decline in demand. This is exactly what Vulcan has been doing.
Except for the fourth quarter, Vulcan has experienced inelastic demand going back at least seven quarters. Thus revenue continues to rise on an annual basis.
The question, of course, is whether this trend can continue. Vulcan went up against a tough comp in the first quarter (prices were up 16% in the prior year's quarter) and still reported impressive 9% growth.
In the second quarter last year, prices were up 15%, which makes for another difficult comparable looming ahead.At roughly $84, Vulcan's stock is now trading at 23 times estimated 2008 earnings per share. Typically, Vulcan and other aggregates suppliers carry price-to-earnings ratios in the range of mid-teens to low-20s, says Kasprzak, the analyst at BB&T. The multiple looks a bit high but can probably hold if the economy is really going to improve by the end of 2008. Then again, the recent run in the stock may just be part of a overly optimistic cyclical rally that may not last.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV