Small-Cap Winners & Losers: KongZhong
Small-cap stocks were down Friday, as most of the major individual moves were spurred by quarterly earnings reports. The Russell 2000 gave up 0.8% to , and the S&P SmallCap 600 lost 0.6% to 390.14.
Among the losers, Flagstar Bancorp (FBC) fell to new lows. The Troy, Mich., savings and loan company announced it is raising $100 million in an equity sale to institutional investors. Flagstar is raising the money to strengthen its balance sheet. Shares fell 20% to $4.77.
Shares of KongZhong (KONG), a wireless interactive entertainment company based in Beijing, slipped 12% to $4.55. The company announced first-quarter non-GAAP income of $950,000, or 3 cents a share, vs. $2.1 million, or 6 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were expecting earnings of a nickel a share.
Semiconductor company Exar (EXAR) tumbled 13% to $7.86. The Fremont, Calif., company posted a first-quarter non-GAAP loss of $1.7 million, or 4 cents a share, vs. a profit of $2.7 million, or 7 cents a share, a year ago. The Street was looking for a loss of a penny a share.Some stocks were up on the down day, however. China Precision Steel (CPSL) climbed 30% to $5.64. The Hong Kong-based steel processor announced fiscal third-quarter earnings more than doubled year over year to $4.6 million, or 10 cents a share. One Wall Street analyst had predicted EPS of 5 cents. Meanwhile, Beijing-based China Finance Online (JRJC), which sells online financial services, tacked on 17.7% to $25.94. The company guided for first-quarter revenue between $10.5 million and $10.8 million. It said it would reap adjusted earnings of $4.5 million to $5 million. Two analysts estimate revenue of $10.4 million and earnings of $3 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV