Tech Stocks Lead Wall Street Higher
Updated from 3:43 p.m. EDT
Stocks in New York stayed strong through the finish Thursday as a decline in oil and a rally in technology helped investors look past a series of otherwise disappointing economic data.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average had a shaky start, but it overcame early losses to close up 93 points, or 0.7%, at 12,991. The S&P 500 climbed 15 points, or 1.1%, to 1423, and the Nasdaq Composite tacked on 37 points, or 1.5%, to 2534, as CNET (CNET) surged on buyout news.
Market sentiment was bearish at the open, but investors perked up after Northeastern factory activity data showed vast improvement. The Philadelphia Fed Index came in at negative 15.6 for May -- still a contraction, but far less egregious than last month's decline of 24.9, and better than the economists' consensus for negative 19.
The Real Story Wrap: May 15
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV