Small-Cap Winners & Losers: Asia Time
Small-cap stocks, along with the broader market, waffled near the baseline Thursday before an eventual rise. The Russell 2000 was up 0.6% at 740.68, and the S&P SmallCap 600 was up 0.5% at 390.73.
Among the day's big winners, Asia Time (TYM), a distributor of watch-movement components based, jumped to new highs. The Hong Kong-based company reported first-quarter earnings of $2.4 million, or 8 cents a share, vs. $193,000, or a penny a share, a year ago. Revenue increased 74% year over year to $36.8 million. Shares climbed 30.5% to $6.50.
Also rising, oil and gas income trust Enterra (ENT) surged 17% to $3.61. The Calgary, Canada-based company narrowed its first-quarter loss to $1.9 million, or 3 cents a share, from $62.8 million, or $1.12 a share, a year ago. The loss was due primarily to unrealized mark-to-market losses of $6.8 million, the company said.
Spartan Stores (SPTN), a Grand Rapids, Mich., grocer, saw shares rise 12% to $23.79. For the first quarter, the company said it made $7.8 million, or 36 cents a share, vs. $6.8 million, or 32 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts were looking for 32 cents a share.On the losing side, Yucheng Technologies (YTEC), which provides information technology solutions and services for banking, fell 27% to $13.49. The Beijing company reported that first-quarter earnings improved 88% year over year to $1.4 million, or 8 cents a share. The Street had forecast EPS of 12 cents. Meanwhile, Wuxi, China-based WSP Holdings (WH) dropped 11% to $7.54. The maker of seamless casing, tubing and drill pipes for oil and natural gas exploration announced net income of $15.8 million, or 15 cents a share, down from $16 million, or 21 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts had forecast 16 cents a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV