CNET Soars After CBS Buyout
Updated from 12:45 p.m. EDT
Media giant CBS said it will pay $11.50 for each share of CNET. The acquisition, CBS said, will make it one of the top 10 Internet companies in the U.S., with a combined 54 million unique users a month and approximately 200 million users worldwide.
Based in San Francisco, CNET Networks owns a number of entertainment, news and information sites, including CNET, ZDNet, GameSpot.com, TV.com, mp3.com, Search.com, BNET, MySimon and TechRepublic. The company, which had 2007 revenue of $406 million, also has a large international presence, particularly in China.Shares of CNET jumped $3.46, or 43.5%, to $11.41 Thursday. The stock closed Wednesday at $7.95, and it has traded in a range of $6.47 to $9.88 in the past year. CBS, based in New York, was off 2.4% to $24.23.
CBS Looking for Clicks in All the Wrong Places
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV