Small-Cap Winners and Losers: Western Refining
Updated from 2:01 p.m. EDT with new stock prices
Small-cap stocks generally traded lower along with the broader market Tuesday. The Russell 2000 and the S&P SmallCap 600 were bobbing under and above the flat line.
El Paso, Texas-based Western Refining (WNR) plummeted to new lows. The oil and gas refiner reported a loss of $40.4 million, or 60 cents a share, in the first quarter, vs. a profit of $62.6 million, or 93 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for a loss of 9 cents a share. Caris & Co. downgraded the stock to sell from average. Shares were losing 16.5% to $8.25.
Meanwhile, U.S. Shipping (USS), a provider of marine transportation services for oil and chemical companies based in Edison, N.J., fell 26% to $8.67. The company announced a first-quarter loss of $5.8 million, or 31 cents a share, vs. a profit of $5.7 million, or 31 cents a share, a year ago.Direct marketer and operator of shopNBC.com ValueVision Media (VVTV) also tapped a new 52-week low. The Eden Prarie, Minn., firm guided for first-quarter revenue of $156 million, down 17% from the year-ago quarter. It also projected a net loss of $18 million, down from a profit of $34 million a year ago. Wall Street expects a net loss of $4.4 million on revenue of $181.7 million. The stock sank 17.5% to $4.23. On the winning side, Fuel Systems (FSYS) hit a new 52-week high. The Santa Ana, Calif.-based maker of alternative fuel components announced first-quarter earnings of $6.2 million, or 40 cents a share, up from $1 million, or 7 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. Analysts had forecast EPS of 18 cents. The stock jumped 25.5% to $24.06.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV