Buckeye Stock-Picking: Peabody Energy, America Movil
In "How Ohio State Fund Invests Its $24 Million," TheStreet.com contributor Jonas Elmerraji looked at how Ohio State University's Student Investment Management (SIM) program approaches stock selection.
Where Are They Now?
On January 25, the following were the five best-performing stock holdings in Ohio State's multi-million dollar student-run portfolio, along with how the stocks have performed since then.
1. America Movil (AMX): Up over 3%, recently trading in the $56-$57 range.2. Hewlett-Packard (HPQ): Up around 12%, until today (see "EDS Deal Is Deja Vu for H-P Investors"). 3. Teva Pharmaceutical (TEVA): Up over 1%, recently trading in the $44-$45 range. 4. Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A): Down over 10%, recently trading around $124,000. 5. Peabody Energy (BTU): Up over 27%, recently trading in the $70-72 range. SIM's Five Best-Performing Holdings -- Today Short-term market fluctuations aside, three of the SIM students' previous top five positions make can be found in their current top five. According to SIM's Matt Falk, here is a snapshot of the group's current best-performing stocks (since their initial purchase). 1. Peabody: Up almost 100%. 2. America Movil: Up over 64%. (This stock is also owned by the University of North Carolina's Applied Investment Management program.) 3. Apple (AAPL): Up over 49%.
Cramer: Apple's a Lasting Winner (May 13)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV