A Compelling Nuclear Energy Play
Last summer I wrote on RealMoney about the then-new Market Vectors DAX Global Nuclear Energy ETF (NLR). Since listing, NLR has been successful at drawing funds, as it has increased to $197 million in assets, which is solid for such a new fund.
The case for nuclear was compelling when I wrote that first article and is all the more so now with oil trading well above $120. There are over 400 nuclear plants in the world with plans for that number to increase by 50% in coming years. If that trend plays out as people expect, then the stock's underlying nuclear energy funds will participate in that growth and presumably that should mean good things for the prices of these companies.
Last month, the PowerShares Global Nuclear Energy Portfolio (PKN) came on the scene to provide some competition for NLR. There is some overlap between the two but there are some differences that could matter in the long term. For now, after just a few weeks of trading, the differences have not mattered at all.
|Click here for larger image.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV