Tim Brown: Catch A Score With Microsoft
But a little more than a week ago, Microsoft withdrew its bid for Yahoo! (YHOO). At the time, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said he was withdrawing his firm's increased offer of $33 a share to acquire Yahoo! because Yahoo!'s management was looking for $37 a share. In my opinion, now is the time to grab Microsoft.
Even before the takeover talk, Microsoft was preparing a game plan to challenge Google (GOOG) in the online advertising game. Microsoft is well behind Google in this arena, but that means they have a lot of upside. Plus, Microsoft is way out ahead of Google in the display advertising market. That area should grow much quicker than search advertising, leaving Microsoft in good shape to take advantage of that trend. If you listen to Microsoft's execs, they are talking like they are the favorites in this matchup vs. Google.
Regardless of how it plays out, I am confident Microsoft is a great play today. You can ride it to a quick 10-yard first down, or go deep and take it in for a score.
"Keep moving the Chains!"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV