Small-Cap Winners & Losers: The Knot
Small-cap stocks were mainly trading lower Friday. The Russell 2000 lost 0.2% to 717.81, and the S&P SmallCap 600 was off 0.3% at 378.23.
Among the big losers, The Knot (KNOT) fell to new lows, decling 15% to $9.95. The New York wedding planner announced first-quarter income of $579,000, or 2 cents a share, vs. $1.6 million, or 5 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were looking for EPS of 5 cents.
3D Systems (TDSC) also fell to a new 52-week low, lately declining 39% to $8.67. The Rock Hill, S.C., multimedia and graphics software company posted a wider first-quarter loss of $3.7 million, or 17 cents a share, from of $3.1 million, or 16 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts were expecting a profit of 4 cents a share.
Deltek (PROJ) slipped 34% to $8.30. The Herndon, Va.-based maker of enterprise applications software announced first-quarter non-GAAP income of $6.1 million, or 14 cents a share, vs. $6.5 million, or 16 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. The Street had prognosticated 15 cents a share. Credit Suisse and William Blair cut the stock to hold-equivalent ratings.High-speed Internet provider Cogent Communications (CCOI) lost 19% to $18.31. The Washington, D.C., company posted a first-quarter loss of 21 cents a share, vs. 19 cents a year ago. The results disappointed analysts, who had on average predicted a per-share loss of 18 cents. Also gaining, shares of restaurant chain Cosi (COSI) surged 20% to $2.68. Excluding the effect of discontinued opperations, the Deerfield, Ill., company narrowed its loss to $2.8 million, or 7 cents a share, from $4.1 million, or 10 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. The Street expected a loss of 8 cents a share. Revenue increased 6.7% year over year to $33.2 million, ahead of the consensus estimate of $32.4 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV