Activision Rolls Past Estimates
SAN FRANCISCO - Video-games publisher Activision (ATVI) blew past analysts' fourth-quarter earnings estimates on strong sales of the company's Guitar Hero 3 and Call of Duty IV games.
Net income for the quarter was $44.2 million, or 14 cents a share, compared with a loss of $14.4 million, or 5 cents a share, in last year's quarter.
Excluding charges, the company earned 17 cents a share, ahead of analyst expectations of 12 cents.
Revenue for the quarter rose 92.8% to $602.5 million from $312.5 million a year ago. Analysts were expecting $373.1 million.Shares of Activision climbed 2.9% in recent after-hours trading to $28.50. For its first quarter fiscal 2009, Activision said it expects revenue of $500 million and earnings of 4 cents a share, excluding results from merger partner Vivendi Games. Excluding items, it expects to report earnings of 13 cents a share. Analysts were expecting revenue of $484.3 million on earnings of 12 cents a share in the quarter. In December, Activision said it would merge with Vivendi Games to create a new company called Activision Blizzard. The company said it is on track to close the deal in the next few weeks. For fiscal year 2009, on a stand-alone basis, Activision expects net revenue of $2.75 billion and earnings of 72 cents a share. Excluding the impact of deferred revenue for online-enabled games, the company expects revenue of $3.1 billion for the year. That compares to Street estimates of $2.8 billion in revenue and earnings of $1.18 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV