Small-Cap Winners & Losers: Gibraltar
Small-cap stocks bounced in and out of positive territory Thursday, slightly trailing the broader market as earnings reports once again motivated the major buying and selling.
Shares of Gibraltar Industries (ROCK), which makes residential and commercial building products, soared 28% to $14.12. The Buffalo, N.Y., firm posted first-quarter earnings of $6.7 million, or 22 cents a share, vs. $6.2 million, or 21 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were expecting 14 cents a share.
Meanwhile, Central Garden & Pet (CENT) jumped 29% to $5.40. The Walnut Creek, Calif.-based purveyor of branded products for the lawn and garden and pet supplies markets announced income of $20.5 million, or 28 cents a share, vs. $21.4 million, or 30 cents a share, a year ago. The Street was looking for 25 cents a share.
Niwot, Colo.'s Crocs (CROX), a footwear concern, added 17% to $11.60. The company reported non-GAAP first-quarter earnings of $7.6 million, or 9 cents a share, slightly behind the consensus estimate of 10 cents a share. Crocs also reaffirmed full-year guidance for EPS between $1.70 and $1.80, ahead of the Street's prediction of $1.60.Einstein Noah (BAGL), which licenses specialty bagel restaurants, saw shares climb 17% to $12.86. The Lakewood, Colo., company said it made $3.8 million, or 23 cents a share, for the first quarter, vs. $1.1 million, or 10 cents a share, in the year-ago period. Analysts had foretold earnings of 16 cents a share. Piper Jaffray added to the good news by upgrading the stock to buy from neutral.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV