Should You Buy It: Varian's a Buy
Shares of Varian (VARI) have recently tested investors patience. (Editor's note: this stock is not to be confused with Varian Medical Systems or Varian Semiconductor.). The company's stock has fallen 10+% since the company reported better than expected fiscal second quarter (ended March) results. The stock is down 37% lower from its October highs.
Varian makes scientific instruments such as spectroscopy systems and high-vacuum pumps that are used in chemical analysis, biomedicine and materials research. Some of Varian's larger customers include Dow Chemical (DOW), Monsanto (MON), Pfizer (PFE) and Procter & Gamble (PG).
The question is, should you buy it? Does Varian offer value following its recent pullback, or should investors focus elsewhere?
Back on April 23, Varian posted quarterly earnings of 71 cents a share, which was a nickel ahead of the consensus analyst estimate. Revenue grew 8% year-over-year to $248.2 million, which also was $1.5 million higher than expected.Sales in both the life sciences and industrial divisions rose from a year ago, as did sales in every major geographic region. The company ended the quarter with a strong order backlog, as its customers continue to spend on research and development (R&D) to generate their own new products. Varian is also insulated from a slowing US economy, as roughly 70% of sales are generated outside of the U.S. Varian's earnings could have been even higher in the quarter, though management increased spending for several new expected product launches in the upcoming quarters. As a result of these new items, management is targeting 5-7% organic revenue growth in fiscal 2008 (ending September).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV