Small-Cap Winners and Losers: Georgia Gulf
Updated from 1:51 p.m. EDT with new stock prices
Small-cap stocks joined the broader market in trading right along the baseline Wednesday, as earnings reports caused the biggest moves for individual names.
Among the losers, Atlanta-based Georgia Gulf (GGC) fell 25% to $4.46. For the first quarter, the maker of chlorovinyls and aromatic chemicals reported a widened loss of $69.5 million, or $2.02 a share, vs. $34.6 million, or $1.01 a share, a year ago. The loss includes a writedown of $26.1 million, or 58 cents a share, stemming from the shuttering of an Oklahoma City PVC resin plant. Analysts, who typically do not include one-off charges in their estimates, were expecting a loss of 38 cents a share, per Thomson Financial. Citigroup downgraded the stock to sell from hold.
Also falling, Kenneth Cole (KCP), a New York purveyor of footwear and handbags, plummeted 21.4% to $14.42. The company reported first-quarter earnings of 4 cents a share on revenue of $122.5 million. The Street was looking for 3 cents a share. Kenneth Cole also guided for a loss between 11 cents and 13 cents a share for the second quarter, below the consensus estimate of an 8-cent per-share profit. CL King downgraded the stock to neutral from strong buy.Meanwhile, OraSure Technologies (OSUR), which makes oral fluid specimen collectors, saw shares sink to new lows Wednesday, tumbling 17.7% to $5.41. The company after Tuesday's market close said first-quarter profit increased 35% year over year to $2 million, or 4 cents a share. Analysts had predicted 3 cents a share, but OraSure also guided for a second-quarter loss between 6 cents and 7 cents a share. The Street expects a loss of a penny a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV