United-US Airways Deal Would Face Hurdles
Meanwhile, the Association of Flight Attendants, which represents 21,000 flight attendants at the two carriers, says it will oppose a merger unless salaries and working conditions are improved first. And the International Association of Machinists, the largest airline union, flatly opposes a deal. The IAM represents 3,400 fleet service workers and 3,000 mechanics at US Airways, as well as 16,000 agents and fleet service workers at United.
As for United's 9,300 mechanics, they voted last month to join the Teamsters, so a merger could lead to a representation battle with the IAM. The Teamsters will oppose any deal that is "to the detriment of our members," said spokesman Galen Munro.
Congress has no direct influence over whether mergers occur, but it has taken an interest in the union representation issues in the Delta-Northwest merger, and no doubt it would weigh in on a United-US Airways deal as well.
Last month, in a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, New York Sen. Chuck Schumer called the Delta and Northwest merger "a good one" and said the "negatives seem more benign" than in other transactions. Still, he said that "anyone that supports this merger does not indicate a general support of mergers in the airline industry."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV