Monday's Winners & Losers: Yahoo!
In a letter to Yahoo! CEO Jerry Yang that was made public, Microsoft's CEO Steve Ballmer said he was willing to offer $33 a share for the Internet company but Yahoo!'s board held out for $37.
On the advancing side, Discovery Labs (DSCO) shares gained 31.7% to $1.91 Monday, recovering some of the ground lost Friday when news of regulatory delays hit the stock hard. The company said Monday it believes it will not need more clinical trials to gain Food and Drug Administration approval for its thrice-brushed off infant lung drug Surfaxin.In earnings, Albany Molecular (AMRI) said first-quarter revenue increased 11% to $53.6 million. The research services firm reported adjusted profit of $4.7 million, or 15 cents a share, up from $3.1 million, or 10 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial were looking for earnings of 3 cents a share on revenue of $47.6 million. Shares added $1.83, or 16%, to $13.30. Among the losers, HMS Holdings (HMSY), a provider of cost containment and payment accuracy services, slid 23.4% to $20.06. The New York company announced first-quarter income of $3.2 million, or 12 cents a share, vs. $3 million, or 11 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were expecting 13 cents a share. HMS Holdings also reaffirmed 2008 revenue guidance for $170 million, slightly below the Street's estimate of $170.5 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV