Monday's Health Winners & Losers
Health stocks were stagnant at the start of the week as investors digested a regulatory letter affecting one stock and an upcoming advisory panel that will affect another.
The Nasdaq and Amex biotechnology indices were down less than half a percentage point Monday, while the Amex Pharmaceutical index lagged 0.7%, at 304.67.
On the advancing side, Discovery Labs (DSCO) shares gained 31.7% to $1.91 Monday, recovering some of the ground lost Friday when news of regulatory delays hit the stock hard. The company said Monday it believes it will not need more clinical trials to gain Food and Drug Administration approval for its thrice-brushed off infant lung drug Surfaxin.Meanwhile, investors weighed sentiment on Cephalon (CEPH), a day before an FDA advisory panel is set to meet to discuss expanded use of the company's pain drug Fentora. Lehman Brothers analyst Jim Birchenough lowered his price target for the stock to $88 from $93, ahead of the panel meeting. Overall, Wall Street analysts were mixed about the mood and likely outcome of the panel, which will discuss ramifications of expanded approval of the pain drug, including a potential increase in its abuse. Shares edged down 46 cents, or 0.8%, to $60.12 Monday In earnings, Albany Molecular (AMRI) said first-quarter revenue increased 11% to $53.6 million. The research services firm reported adjusted profit of $4.7 million, or 15 cents a share, up from $3.1 million, or 10 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial were looking for earnings of 3 cents a share on revenue of $47.6 million. Shares added $1.83, or 16%, to $13.30.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV