Friday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
After opening higher, small-cap stocks mainly hovered near the baseline along with the broader market Friday.
Shares of Town Sports (CLUB), a fitness club owner based in New York, ripped 30% higher to $9.70. The company announced first-quarter income of $4.8 million, or 18 cents a share, vs. a loss of $3.8 million, or 15 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were expecting 15 cents a share. Town Sports also announced plans to buy back up to $25 million in its stock.
Also rising, TeleCommunication Systems (TSYS), an Annapolis, Md., maker of wireless communication technology, climbed 19% to $4.32. The company posted first-quarter income of $4.6 million, or 11 cents a share, compared with $2.4 million, or 6 cents a share, in the year-ago period. Revenue climbed 18% year over year to $40.4 million.
Shares of Wayne, Pa.-based aircraft components maker Triumph Group (TGI) soared 17.3% upward to $70.46. The company reported fourth-quarter income of $21.3 million, or $1.26 a share, up from $15.5 million, or 93 cents a share, a year ago. The Street was looking for $1.04 a share.Blast-protected vehicle maker Force Protection (FRPT) announced a $94 million contract to supply the U.K. military with its Cougar vehicles. Shares of the Lasdon, S.C.-based company jumped 11% to $3.32. On the losing side, Investools (SWIM) shares plummeted 36% to $7.97. The New York provider of investment education and brokerage products announced earnings of $12 million, or 17 cents a share, vs. a $25 million loss a year ago. Analysts were looking for earnings of 21 cents a share. The company also said the Securities and Exchange Commission was conducting an informal inquiry into some of its presentations in company seminars. BMO Capital Markets and Kaufman Brothers both downgraded the stock to hold-equivalent ratings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV