Thursday's Winners & Losers: Hologix
Orthopedic product maker Orthofix International NV (OFIX) said Thursday that its first-quarter profit fell to $3.6 million, or 21 cents a share, from $6.3 million, or 37 cents a share, in the year-ago period.
Revenue rose 9% to $128 million from $117 million, beating expectations of analysts polled by Thomson Financial who expected profit of 9 cents a share on revenue of $122.5 million. The beat prompted a 12% rise in the stock, to $34.50.
Costa Mesa, Calif.-based Volcom (VLCM), which makes apparel for young men and young women, jumped 26% to $23.95 on first-quarter earnings of $9.3 million, or 38 cents a share, vs. $5.5 million, or 22 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were looking for 21 cents a share.
Advanced Medical Optics (EYE) said its first-quarter net profit was $6.9 million, or 11 cents a share, down from $12.1 million, or 20 cents a share, a year earlier. Factoring out acquisition and restructuring charges, the company earned 22 cents a share, on net sales to $303.7 million.Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial were looking for 22 cents a share, on revenue of $294.6 million. Shares rose 11.5% to $23.42. Medical technology company Hologix (HOLX), which recently completed a 2-for-1 stock split, plummeted 18.6% to $23.75 Thursday after the company aired its second-quarter results. Revenue climbed to $431 million from $181.1 million. Hologic reported net income of $56 million, or 22 cents a share a share -- and adjusted profit of $76.2 million, vs. $24 million a year prior.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV