Top Health Care Short-Squeeze Plays
Updated from 7:09 a.m. EDT
Health care stocks generally have underperformed most other sectors during the last year or two. This underperformance could offer an opportunity for short-squeeze plays from heavily shorted biotechnology, health facilities, pharmaceutical and medical equipment stocks.
A short squeeze takes place when a stock's short-sellers are forced to cover their positions quickly when the stock they are betting against starts climbing on positive news. As the short-sellers are forced to cover, the price of the stock often moves even higher.
The metric for measuring short-squeeze plays is the short ratio, which represents the number of days it would take a stock's short sellers to cover their positions based on the stock's recent average daily trading volume.Stockpickr has compiled the Top Health Care Short-Squeeze Plays, a list of heavily shorted stocks in the sector that have the potential to climb higher on any positive catalyst. One of the most heavily shorted health care-related stocks is HealthSouth Corp. (HLS), an inpatient rehabilitation services provider with a short ratio of 40. In 2003, a fraud scheme sent shares plummeting. The company is slated to report its most recent quarterly results on May 7. The stock has a forward price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio of 33 and a P/E-to-growth (PEG) ratio of 6.6. HealthSouth shares are owned by Highfields Capital Management, $8.3 billion hedge fund. Highfields also holds shares of Clear Channel Communications (CCU), which has a 3 short ratio, Qualcomm (QCOM), which has a 1.2 short ratio, and PNC Financial Services (PNC), with a 3 short ratio.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV