Biogen, Genentech's Rituxan Fails New Study
This is the second clinical setback for Rituxan in the last two weeks. On April 15, the companies announced that a late-stage study in primary progressive multiple sclerosis also failed.
In this most recent study, patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), commonly called lupus, failed to respond any better to Rituxan vs. placebo after one year of treatment, the companies said. None of the study's six secondary endpoints were successful, either.
A separate phase III study of Rituxan in patients with lupus nephritis, a different form of the disease, is ongoing.Lupus has proven to be a stubborn disease to overcome, leaving in its wake a long list of clinical trial failures. With that said, most analysts did not include Rituxan-lupus revenue in their financial models for either Genentech or Biogen Idec. However, lupus and multiple sclerosis were seen as long-term growth opportunities for Rituxan, so the recent study failures take a bite out of that prospect. Genentech and Biogen Idec reported 2007 Rituxan sales of $2.29 billion in the U.S., primarily as a treatment for the blood cancer non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The drug is also approved to treat rheumatoid arthritis. Genentech shares were down 5.8% at $68.93 in early trading Tuesday. Biogen Idec was trading down 5% at $61.43. Know What You Own: Genentech has a deep cancer drug pipeline, with about 15 experimental drugs in phase I, II or III trials. Among the biotech company's cancer drug partners are Curis (CRIS), Immunogen (IMGN), Abbott Labs (ABT), Seattle Genetics (SGEN) and Exelixis (EXEL).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV