Follow Swensen's Yale Endowment Fund
I wrote about MVC Capital on Jan. 1 and while many names in the space like Apollo Investment Group (AINV), KKR Financial (KFN) and the PowerShares Listed Private Equity Portfolio ETF (PSP) have been down 25% or more over the last year, MVC is only down 10%.
That may not be much consolation, and figuring out when this group turns around could be very difficult to do.
"Real assets" takes in a lot of different things that are easily accessed and not that difficult, relatively speaking, to understand.The first thing that comes to mind is probably commodities. There is no shortage of precious metals, industrial metals, grains and other soft commodities to choose from in ETF or ETN form. Real assets are intended to protect against inflation, so a part of this segment would also be inflation protected securities. Some of the more well-known products include the
- iShares Lehman TIPS Bond Fund (TIP)
- Vanguard Inflation Protected Securities Fund (VIPSX)
- StateStreet SPDR DB International Inflation Protected Bond ETF (WIP); this one is very new.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV