Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks hesitantly set forth into positive territory in step with the broader market Thursday.
Shares of NextWave (WAVE), a developer of mobile multimedia and wireless broadband products based in San Diego, Calif., swelled 28% to $6.08. The company announced its intention to sell its spectrum holdings in the U.S. The company, which has licenses and lease rights for a total of 4.7 billion MHz/pops of spectrum, has retained Deutsche Bank and UBS to explore a possible sale.
Meanwhile, King of Prussia, Pa.'s GSI Commerce (GSIC) jumped 27% to $14.42. The provider of services for e-commerce, multichannel retailing and interactive marketing reported a first-quarter loss of $9.6 million, or 20 cents a share, vs. a loss of $2.3 million, or a nickel a share, a year ago. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were looking for a 24-cent per-share loss.
Computer systems and software maker Mercury Computer Systems (MRCY) saw shares climb 20% to $7.74. After Wednesday's market close, the Chelmsford, Mass., company announced third-quarter fiscal 2008 non-GAAP income of $951,000, or 4 cents a share, vs. a loss of $2.5 million, or 11 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts had forecast a loss of a penny a share.Among the losers, Calumet Specialty Products Partners (CLMT), an Indianapolis company that produces and sells specialty hydrocarbon products, saw shares drop 17% to $15.19. The company announced a cash distribution decrease to 45 cents for the quarter ended March 31 from a previous 63-cent distribution. Also falling, Monarch Casino & Resort (MCRI), which through its subsidiary Golden Road Motor Inn owns and operates a tropically themed casino in Reno, Nev., gave up 26% to $12.74. The company announced first-quarter income of $2.3 million, or 12 cents a share, vs. $5.5 million, or 28 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts were looking for EPS of 20 cents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV