PowerShares Technical Fund Delivers on Promise
The PowerShares DWA Technical Leaders Fund (PDP) is a little over a year old, and I believe it is delivering on its promise and backtest.
Gimmicky sounding ETFs are often very quickly dismissed from being serious investment choices, and successful backtests are often greeted with skepticism (I am guilty of that one sometimes) -- but in this case, both of those sentiments would have been wrong.
As you can see from the chart, PDP has outperformed the S&P 500, its benchmark index, by 10 percentage points, again that is just after 13 months of trading. That is a meaningful amount of alpha for a broad-based proxy in such a short time, and is consistent with the backtest. While others may be dubious of this, it is tough to be too critical of a fund that does what it says it's going to do.
|Click here for larger image.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV