Delta, Northwest Reportedly Near Deal
The two airlines, which have been in talks regarding a combination for months, may announce a deal as early as Tuesday, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal that cited people familiar with the situation.
The deal could proceed without the approval of Delta's 6,000 pilots, although the airilne was negotiating with them over the weekend about a post-merger contract, the report said. That would leave talks with Northwest's 5,000 pilots for a later date, the report added.
A merger would create the world's largest airline when measured by traffice, the report noted.The two airlines hoped to announce a deal in February, but their pilots' unions were unable to agree on how to merge their seniority lists, a crucial factor in airline mergers. Announcing a deal without the blessings of the pilots' groups could make for a rocky merger process by adding to management distractions, the report noted. Shares of Delta Air Lines closed Friday up 26 cents at $10.01. Northwest shares ended the session up 9 cents at $10.96.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV