EMC Snatches Up Iomega
EMC will tender its offer of $3.85 a share for the San Diego-based Iomega in the next two weeks. The revised bid represents a 18.5% premium above the $3.25-a-share offer that EMC made to Iomega last month.
EMC then upped the bid to $3.75 recently to re-enter negotiations.
The acquisition is expected to be completed in the second quarter of 2008, and will have no material impact on EMC's financial results for the fiscal, the company said.Shares of EMC closed down 6 cents, or 0.4%, to $14.84 Tuesday. Iomega shares closed down 4 cents, or 1.1%, to $3.64. Iomega's stock rose 4.4%, or 16 cents, to $3.80 in extended trading on the news. "Iomega brings to EMC a deep knowledge of and established business practices for servicing consumers and small businesses," said Joe Tucci, chairman, president and CEO of EMC in a statement. Upon completion of the acquisition, Iomega will serve as the core of EMC's new consumer/small business products division led by Jonathan Huberman, CEO of Iomega. He will report to Joel Schwartz, senior vice president and general manager, EMC storage platforms division. Know What You Own: EMC operates in the data storage industry, and some of the other stocks in its field include NetApp (NTAP), Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), IBM (IBM) and Sun Microsystems (JAVA). These stocks were recently trading at $21.28, -1.71%, $45.92, -0.33%, $117.03, +0.65% and $15.31, +0.33% respectively. For more on the value of knowing what you own, visit TheStreet.com's Investing A-to-Z section.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV