Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:05 p.m. EDT with new stock prices
Small-cap stocks bounced back from an early start to the downside Tuesday, reaching the baseline as the broader market continued to languish in the red.
Shares of weight management and fitness program provider NutriSystem (NTRI) jumped 24.4% to $18.59. The Horsham, Pa.-based company announced that president and COO Joseph Redling will replace CEO Michael Hagan effective May 1. Hagan will continue to serve as nonexecutive chairman. NutriSystem also forecast first-quarter revenue of about $216 million, ahead of the Thomson Financial consensus estimate of $203.5 million. Boenning & Scattergood upgraded the stock to market perform from market underperform.
Meanwhile, Layne Christensen (LAYN), a Mission Woods, Kan.-based drilling and construction services company, climbed 21.9% to $43.98. For the fourth quarter, Layne increased income 44% to $9.6 million, or 50 cents a share. The Street was looking for EPS of 37 cents. Revenue rose 16% to $223.6 million, ahead of the consensus estimate of $214.5 million.Provider of disk sputtering equipment for hard disk drives Intevac (IVAC) was upgraded to buy from hold by Brean Murray. Shares tacked on 11.4% to $15.07. On the losing side, Agria (GRO), a Beijing seller of upstream agricultural products for China, announced this morning that business was not disrupted by the resignation of COO Zhixin (Frank) Xue. The resignation was announced yesterday after the close. Shareholders remained skeptical, selling the company down 39.9% to $5.29. Shares of Boise (BZ), an Idaho maker of paper products, fell 12% to $5.65. Boise announced Monday evening that its input costs were rapidly increasing, especially in its mills in the Pacific Northwest. More broadly, the Russell 2000 was off 0.1% at 711.67, and the S&P SmallCap 600 lost 0.2% to 376.65.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV