How KU Stock-Pickers Play Offense
Last night, the University of Kansas Jayhawks won the N.C.A.A. basketball championship (their third and first since 1988). But how well do students in the Applied Portfolio Management Program (APM) at the "KU" School of Business perform in the stock market?
Started in 1994, the $1.4 million student-run APM investment fund is revered for cranking out major returns. "Our alpha has been very good over the past few years," says Ryan Peschka, one of the fund's assistant portfolio managers. "Since January of 2003, we're actually up 475%."
In fact, the program's impressive success prompted KU professors Catherine Shenoy and Kent McCarthy, the APM's faculty advisors, to pen a book on their experiences with the group, titled Applied Portfolio Management.
And while investing doesn't seem to have a lot to do with basketball, you might be surprised at just how much KU's basketball team owes the APM. Each year, the fund uses part of its proceeds to fund a scholarship for one of KU's basketball players. This year's recipient: Jayhawks senior guard Russell Robinson.The APM's Five Largest Stock Holdings
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV