Asia: Financials and Exporters Surge
Asian stocks followed Wall Street's overnight rally Wednesday and climbed as financials and Japanese exporters surged on tentative expectations that the worst of the U.S. credit crisis may have passed. The dollar continued to strengthen against the yen, but oil rose to around $101.50.
Markets in Hong Kong and Japan hit one-month highs. The Japanese Nikkei was the biggest beneficiary of the rally, rising 533 points, or 4.2%, to 13,189.36, representing the first time the index has been above 13,000 points since the end of February. The Hang Seng leapt 735 points, or 3.2%, to 23,872.43, and in China, the Shanghai Composite Index gained 19 points, or 0.6%, to 3347.88.
"The herd mentality is back again," says Bryan Watkins, a trader for Daiwa Bank in Hong Kong. "Among energy plays, there is a little short squeezing back en vogue in here. Buyers kept reloading here by 500 thousand shares, feeding the market into the close."
China Watch: Gushing Over Gushan
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV