American Cancels Its Flights for Inspections
Updated from 3/26/08
AMR (AMR) subsidiary American Airlines canceled more than 10% of its schedule Wednesday in order to reinspect the wiring on its MD-80 fleet.
The inspections, carried out on a rolling basis throughout the day, will cause about 300 cancellations, American said. The carrier operates around 2,300 daily mainline flights, as well as 1,700 flights on regional partner American Eagle. The mainline fleet includes roughly 300 MD-80s, all of which have been or will be reinspected.
The reinspections reflect enhanced auditing of aircraft maintenance records by the Federal Aviation Administration, a step that followed ongoing Congressional review of a 2007 move by Southwest (LUV) to defer fuselage inspections on 46 Boeing 737s.
In American's case, the airline said that during an audit, a joint team of airline and FAA inspectors raised questions about how a certain bundle of wires is secured to the MD-80."We are reinspecting the MD-80s to make sure the wiring is installed and secured exactly according to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV