Monday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:03 p.m. EDT with new stock prices
Small-cap stocks outpaced the major indices on a strong move higher Monday as a rally in financials and bullish housing data spurred renewed confidence in the market.
Radio One (ROIAK) gained 58.6% to $1.76. The Lanham, Md., radio broadcasting company announced it would sell KRBV, its Los Angeles station, to Bonneville International for about $137.5 million. Radio One also said its board had authorized a buyback for up to $150 million of stock through 2009.
Synplicity (SYNP), a Sunnyvale, Calif.-based maker of software for the design and verification of semiconductors, rocketed up 47.6% to $7.85. On Thursday, Synplicity announced it was being acquired by Synopsys (SNPS) for $227 million, or $8 a share.Newsprint and specialty paper maker AbitibiBowater (ABH) jumped 38.8% to $13.56 on news that the Montreal company agreed to receive an investment of $350 million in convertible debentures from Fairfax Financial Holdings (FFH) to address AbitibiBowater's upcoming debt maturities and general liquidity needs. On the losing side, Media General (MEG) shares fell 9.9% to $14.39. Thursday after the close, the Reston, Va.-based communications company offered February 2008 revenue results and first-quarter earnings guidance. For February, revenue decreased to $63.4 million from $71.2 million a year ago. The company forecast a continuing-operations loss of 40 cents to 45 cents a share for the first quarter. The Street is looking for a per-share loss of 13 cents. Also losing, Aircastle (AYR), a Stamford, Conn., leaser of airplanes, lost 12.7%% to $13.37. The company announced this morning that it would cut its dividend to 25 cents a share this quarter from 70 cents last quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV