Morgan Stanley Beats Estimates
Morgan Stanley (MS), like its peers, posted depressed first-quarter earnings but managed to beat expectations that it would suffer much worse in the subprime-inspired credit crisis.
The New York-based investment firm reported a profit of $1.53 billion, or $1.45 a share. Analysts had been estimating a first-quarter profit of $1.03 a share on $7.19 billion of revenue, according to Thomson Financial.
Revenue at the investment bank, however, fell 17% to $8.3 billion, from $10 billion a year ago.
"While many of our businesses are facing challenging market conditions that we expect to continue in the months ahead, we are satisfied with how Morgan Stanley navigated the ongoing market turbulence," said CEO John Mack in statement.Shares recently were up 7.5% to $46.08. Morgan's better-than-expected results come a day after rival firms Lehman Brothers (LEH) and Goldman Sachs (GS) also bested analyst first-quarter estimates. Morgan Stanley's results also come three days after Bear Stearns (BSC), teetering on bankruptcy, was offered a $2-a-share
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV