How to Invest in Currencies
Currencies can be a good investment due to their low-cost of entry and virtually complete liquidity.
The main argument against investing in currencies is that most investors don't know when it's time to move out of a specific currency. So here is a way to help you identify when to enter and when to leave a currency.
For the long-term investor, as with commodities, "long-term" for currencies is not 20 to 30 years, but three to five years.
Why three to five?As Bill Clinton once said, "It's the economy, stupid." Fundamentally, the strength of a currency reflects the strength of its underlying economy. All else being equal, a strong economy means its currency is strong. Our ability to predict the strength of an economy -- limited to begin with -- does not carry over a period longer than several years. Why? There are just too many factors in play, such as inflation and interest rates, job market, stock market, political dynamics, laws and regulations and major geo-political events (think Sept. 11, 2001). Furthermore, the relationship between those factors and the performance and strength of an economy is not straightforward to analyze and understand. Not to mention that some events are simply unpredictable.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV